WE HAVE MOVED! http://oneimagination.weebly.com/

One Imagination empowers the current and next generation of leaders through written and oral expression. As a collective based in the Long Beach/South Bay area, we believe that through conscious artistic programming, community education and outreach, and leadership development, we can cultivate a world free of hatred, ignorance, injustice, inequality, and oppression.





Saturday, January 30, 2010

POEM OF THE DAY: The Power of Words by Sumiko Braun

The Power of Words

It was so simple for him to say
To tell me to get an abortion
To flush our beautiful son down the drain
A gorgeous child with my dark coffee brown eyes
A laugh that makes me melt whenever I hear it
A smile so sweet and pure and innocent
Small hands that I could stroke all day
And cheeks that I can’t stop kissing

If only your father had his way…
The thought of it still brings tears
And I just want to hold my baby close
Hug him, kiss him, tell him that “you are loved”
And “no, you were not a mistake”
Give him the world, unconditional support and love
Always be there whenever he needs his mama

And hope I teach him
To respect women and all living things
And that words are powerful and everlasting

written by Sumiko Braun



"The Power of Words" can be found in Sumiko's poetry chapbook, BECOMING: A Journey to Complete Samsara, at Blacklava. Please support our local community artists!

0 comments: