WE HAVE MOVED! http://oneimagination.weebly.com/

One Imagination empowers the current and next generation of leaders through written and oral expression. As a collective based in the Long Beach/South Bay area, we believe that through conscious artistic programming, community education and outreach, and leadership development, we can cultivate a world free of hatred, ignorance, injustice, inequality, and oppression.





Saturday, November 24, 2007

Understanding the Words From The King of Funk



Lately I've been noticing that WeFunkRadio has been planning to come out with a line of new shirts, featuring James Brown's famous song/quote "'Say It Loud' I'm Black and Proud." Checking the new line out, I ran into this article on the wefunk's front page that analyzed and commented James Brown's lyrics for his one song "Escape-ism" (there's two versions of the song, there's a regular edited version and a 19 minute one, this article covers the 19 minute long one).

In this article, the writer analyzes Brown's lyrics and points out Brown's example of Escape-ism. Check it out if you ever get time.

link: http://www.kalamu.com/bol/2007/04/08/james-brown-%E2%80%9Cescape-ism%E2%80%9D-complete-take/

-matt n.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mr. Matt,

I skimmed through the article. But I will be asking you about it in full detail another time. I am intrigued by this concept of Escape-ism but I am a lazy sloth and too inundated with life--so much so that I will refuse to search the concept on Google.